Tuesday 12 October 2010

Late night architecture








Baby nephew born this evening at 10.15! Both doing well.
Keep thinking about the first sleepless nights with my three, and, being similarly wide awake, thought I'd post a long overdue homage to modernist architecture (yes, I do live in a thatched cottage - it all makes sense in my head).

Was reminded of our visit to the Villa Savoye in Poissy (just outside Paris), when watching the RIBA Stirling Prize
and Tom Dyckhoff's piece on the Culture Show Special on the different 'branches' of modernism, including something called 'contextual modernism' which, I think, sits alongside, or mixed in with, other styles.
I'd never thought that my liking for light flooded, clean lined architecture could ever meet up with our quirky and crooked homestead (or 'scruffy house' as my nephew describes it). Maybe 'contextual modernism' is worth investigating, maybe a bit of googling...

Now that does make me feel sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment